Spring is a time of renewal. With the advent of a new season comes a flurry of activities, from dusting to vacuuming to de-cluttering. Now is the time to inspect the interior of your home and make necessary improvements. It’s a great time to refresh flooring, furnishings and accessories in the living room, kitchen, bedrooms, and closets. What’s in your pantry that needs to be recycled?
Do you have a bridal shower or graduation coming up this spring? Events are fabulous motivators for updating your home. That requires some planning, so if larger projects are on your “to do” list, line up your professional team sooner rather than later.
We have devised a checklist for homeowners:
- Upholstery: Check fabric and trim for tears, stains and fraying. Is it time for an update? Freshened look?
- Carpeting & Rugs: Have the carpets taken a beating during the winter? Now is the time to have them professionally cleaned or replaced. Another way to freshen your room for warmer weather is to store heavier rugs and put down something lighter in color and texture like cotton weave rugs.
- Pet issues: Have pets wreaked havoc on your floors, carpeting and furnishings? Spring is a great time to rejuvenate tired rooms and problem areas.
- Windows: Spring is the time to wash windows and fix screens. Our recommendation is to have a professional come in and clean upholstery and window treatments. Do the blinds and shades function properly? Are there faded fabrics on your windows?
- Fixtures: Polishing brass, silver and other metal light fixtures and decorative elements around your home. As long as the polishing cloth is out, give platters and showpieces their due.
- Walls: dust and spot clean. Inspect wallpaper for tears. For a fresh look, update the color of your walls. Painted walls have a shelf life so if yours haven’t been redone in a few years, now is the time to think about repainting.
- Bedding: change pillows, flip mattresses and swap out your heavier comforter for a coverlet made of lighter weight fabric and brighter colors.
- Decorative Elements: change your decorative pillows for the season just as you might use a lighter floor covering. You can even swap out artwork. Add more green with plants.
- Closets and drawers: de-clutter your closets and drawers for spring. If you have a cedar closet, exchange your winter wardrobe for warm weather clothes. Replace drawer liners and shelf liners and recycle or donate unused items.